Re: Food for second thoughts?

----------
> From: Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Food for second thoughts?
> Date: Monday, February 09, 1998 3:15 PM

> > > A failed attack is quite common with predators... more common than
> > > successful attacks, really.
> >
> > OK, so I made a mistake. The point you missed was not that failed
> > attacks are common, but that a predator may catch it's prey but
> > willingly let it go because it really wasn't in the mood in the first
> > place. It certainly occures in some modern day examples. Also, what
> > about a dinosaur playing with it's victim?? Like the way some whales
> > (I can't remember which one) toss seals about in the air like balls??
> >
> > ----------------------
> > Matt Stephen Staples
> > mss196@soton.ac.uk
>
> Cats are also known to make "thrill kills" after they have successfully
> hunted and are no longer hungry. Many predators seem to develop
> a liking for killing, which makes good biological sense - it makes
> them more efficient hunters (hey, who wouldn't like to do what they
> enjoy for a living!) - however if the predator is too efficient it
> may occasionally need to get rid of pent up agression. Domestic cats
> will still kill mice or birds even though they are well fed. This is why
> some animals will play dead when harassed. If a creature is hungry
> playing dead wont really help, you'll get eaten anyway. However if
> the predator is out for a thrill kill playing dead may be enough of
> an incentive for it to give up and look elsewhere - its just not
> fun. If dinos had reasonable brain sizes and were capable of becoming
> bored then perhaps some theropods also killed for sport.
> --
>       Dann Pigdon
>       Melbourne, Australia
>
>       Dinosaur Reconstructions:
>       http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/4459/
>       Australian Dinosaurs:
>       http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj

Most cats enjoy hunting more than killing.  That's why cats are often seen
playing with their prey before the kill-  in fact, some cats seem
disapointed when their prey actualy dies.  My understanding is that cats
are supposed to enjoy stalking, catching, and killing, in that order (that
is, they enjoy stalking most and killing least, though they enjoy all
three).