Re: Sci. Am. -present

Ronald Orenstein wrote:

>Actually, I am not sure why it is any more of a problem than (say) the
>absence (as far as I am aware) of undoubted monotreme fossils from the
>Mesozoic is for the view that these creatures represent an earlier offshoot
>of the mammal stock than marsupials and placentals.

  Just for your knowledge, though this has nothing really to
do with dinosaurs or affect the birds-descending-from-theropods
theory, there is new molecular data (I apologize, I can't remember
who did  the work so I have no reference) which suggests that
the monotremes should be placed within the marsupials.

Jon Weinbaum
Lurker-out-of-hiding
Spockjr@msn.com