Re: Reptile turnover

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Jeffrey Martz wrote:

>... large size lowering mass-specific metabolism
> beyond anything alive today...

I have called this claim into question a number of times.  I think my
reasoning is sound but I would like to be disavowed if it is not.  When
you look at the graph of the relationship between mass specific metabolism
and size there is no appreciable difference between a horse and anything
bigger.  In other words, really big dinosaurs had about the same food/gram
needs as horses--no advantage here in being really big.