Re: relationship between allosaurus and velociraptor

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Robert Boscarelli wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
>  I have a dinosaur discussion group on my site Bosco's RockPile
>
> and I received a question about wether allosaurus and velociraptor are
> related. I'm not sure exactly how to answer . Any comments would be
> welcome and I'll post it on my site.

They are related in the sense that they are both avetheropod tetanurines.
But they are not closely related -- _Allosaurus_ is an allosaurid
carnosaur and _Velociraptor_ is a dromaeosaurid maniraptoran coelurosaur.
For more info, check out my web site -- a good starting point would be
http://umbc.edu/~tkeese1/dinosaur/taxa/tetanura.htm

--T. Mike Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu
http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1 -- Dinosaur Web Pages