Re: Food for second thoughts?

Dann wrote:

>> Not I dear lady. It's more a case of being full then being
>> not in the mood...
>Unfortunately for this scenario, many croc species will store food
>by wedging the carcass under logs or rocks underwater if they
>are not immediately hungry. I don't know that they'd waste a kill,
>they're pretty efficient creatures.

I can remember seeing one documentary on the subject.  The crocs lived in a
river in southern Africa which lay on a migration route for antelopes.  I
think wildebeest.  Once or twice a year, huge numbers of artiodactyls who
had never seen a crocodile before would come to drink.

The crocodiles satisfied their hunger in a few days, and according to the
narrator didn't need to eat much else until the antelopes returned (I can't
remember whether that was 6 or 12 months later).  They continued hunting out
of instinct/habit, but released their victims.

Storing carcasses was not mentioned, however there were lots of crocs in the
river and they didn't look territorial.  Why bother storing food if someone
else is going to eat it?

The crocs were described as Nile crocodiles.  I have a feeling that either
African crocs used to be regarded as different species but are now lumped,
or used to be all called Nile crocodiles (Crocodylus nilensis?) and are now
split.  Whatever.  If you're a hack, don't quote me (I am irrelevant anyway).

                                                        All the best,

                                                                        Bill