RE: Bill Adlam RE: mass, momentum, & misc.

>In any case, herbivores' weapons tend to evolve for intraspecific combat,
>and only later are sometimes turned against predators.  This makes
>theoretical sense.  An incipient horn is no use against a predator:

An excellent and interesting point.  However, would you apply similar
reasoning to spiked ankylosaur armor, club tails, spike tails, etc. (that
being that incipient armor, spikes, and clubs would have been of no use
against a predator)?  I'm guessing you would not push this principle so far
as to propose stegosaur tail-whacking contests. (Would you?) I do think you
are right that many defenses originally developed from intraspecific
competition, but I also think many didn't, and I think some may have evolved
from a combination of pressures.  At this point I hear you asking how I
determine which is which.

Um... yes.  That is a problem.

I'll get back to you on that just as soon as I figure something out.

Nicholas