Re: T. Rex the hunter (the DMNH Edmontosaurus revisited)

At 07:49 PM 2/12/98 -0800, Phillip Bigelow wrote:

>The second thing that I wondered, as I did a flash-back to remembering
>the width
>of the premaxillary region of T. rex, was: how could a T. rex nip off
>the top of the neural spine of only one vertebra, while leaving the
>adjacent neural spines undamaged?

Unfortunately, you haven't seen the top view or the right lateral view of
the area in question (the paper describing it is not yet out).  There is
signficant damage (including tooth groove marks and regrown bone) to the
neural spines 13-16.  More I cannot say until Ken Carpenter has opportunity
to present the information himself: it is a great study.

(However, I think you can see some of these details in CineNova Productions
"Ultimate Guide to T. rex").

>The intrinsic problem here is that a predation bite that can
>unequivocally be attributed
>to T. rex would, because it would be an inherently large wound, probably
>kill the
>prey in the process.

If and only if it were a good blow.  Nobody says that every strike is
accurate, even for a Tyrannosaurus.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661