Re: Food for second thoughts?

> Dann wrote:
>
> >> Not I dear lady. It's more a case of being full then being
> >> not in the mood...
> >Unfortunately for this scenario, many croc species will store food
> >by wedging the carcass under logs or rocks underwater if they
> >are not immediately hungry. I don't know that they'd waste a kill,
> >they're pretty efficient creatures.
>
> I can remember seeing one documentary on the subject.  The crocs lived in a
> river in southern Africa which lay on a migration route for antelopes.  I
> think wildebeest.  Once or twice a year, huge numbers of artiodactyls who
> had never seen a crocodile before would come to drink.
>
> The crocodiles satisfied their hunger in a few days, and according to the
> narrator didn't need to eat much else until the antelopes returned (I can't
> remember whether that was 6 or 12 months later).  They continued hunting out
> of instinct/habit, but released their victims.
>
> Storing carcasses was not mentioned, however there were lots of crocs in the
> river and they didn't look territorial.  Why bother storing food if someone
> else is going to eat it?
>
> The crocs were described as Nile crocodiles.  I have a feeling that either
> African crocs used to be regarded as different species but are now lumped,
> or used to be all called Nile crocodiles (Crocodylus nilensis?) and are now
> split.  Whatever.  If you're a hack, don't quote me (I am irrelevant anyway).
>
>                                                       All the best,

Bill

Ah, you phrase it so much better than I did, that sounds like
the same piece of footage I saw. I suppose I should have
mentioned the regular re-occurance of food. Anyway, I
digress. Thanks to those that had input through this we
should be able to infere from these statements that though
the idea of capturing but releasing prey does exist in modern
examples, it would be almost (Or totally even) impossible to
prove that this idea could add any clues to how ancient
carnivores might have acted occasionally. Shame really,
because I thought it a nice little idea!

Matt
mss196@soton.ac.uk