Re: T. REX THE HUNTER (and others)

Seth Ellestad wrote:

> Jackals are much much smaller, closer to fox size.  They cannot bring down
> large prey that the lions and hyaenas can.  Are you sure you aren't talking
> about Cape Hunting Dogs (a.k.a. African Wild Dogs, Painted Wolves--genus
> Lycaon)?  They are about the most efficient predetors anywhere, and hunt in
> packs which are sometimes very large (over 50 individuals).  In fact they
> have an astonishing success rate, up to 70-80%, and will take prey in the
> same size class as lions and hyaenas.  (I'm reminded, free-association
> style, of that trackway supposedly showing 30-40 Allosauruses following a
> herd of sauropods).
>
> Seth A. Ellestad.

Cheetahs have been known to bring down adult zebras, although only
extremely rarely, so you can never tell what a certain predator
is capable of and what it is not. Human scientists love to generalize,
but unfortunately for our nice neat pidgeon-hole definitions the
real world does not always comply.
        I have heard that Cape hunting dogs are the most feared
terrestrial predators in Africa by other animals. Even lions or
hyaenas cringe at the sight of them (the dogs seem to love harassing
hyaenas, although the interactions seem to be more curious than
malicious). Despite their small size, they seem
to have a much more co-ordinated pack structure than other social
predators that seems to give them the edge. Reminds me of a certain
predatory primate (hint: one of them is reading this message now).
        As far as dino-related relevance goes, I believe the whole
injured hadrosaur thing started all this. Perhaps tyrannosaurs did
not usually hunt hadrosaurs, and this individual represents a
failed and unusual foray into hunting a new prey species during
times of stress. Is there any evidence of tyrannosaur tooth
marks on other hadrosaur specimens? Perhaps hadrosaurs are the
zebras to the tyrannosaur's cheetah.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions: