Re: "plumed" serpents (LONG) (not so long any more)

The problem with the discussion about the relationship of so-called
"dragons" to fossil finds, is, undoubtedly, the word "dragon" itself.

To state the obvious, "dragon" is a European word (as contrasted, for
example with "leong" or "leung" which are Chinese words for a SIMILAR,
but not identical creature).  Therein the problem.

What, exactly, were the perpetrators of various myths really referring
to? How many of them actually used the word dragon?  What word did they
really use? What "non-scholarly type" simply dumped the word dragon in
as a translation for some other word to either inadvertantly or
deliberatly bowdlerize the concept?

It is a propensity of modern "new age" life to sort of pick and chose
what feels good in a conversation and often what is the easiest or
simplest way to put something. While I won't debate (or debase) the
merits of that methodology, it's clear that it is, often as not, based
on subjective agendas, and not on direct translation or any kind of
genuine inquiry into the facts.

Hence: D R A G O N. What the heck is that anyway? Is it the thing that
Sean Connery did the voice for in Dragonslayer? Is it what St. George
killed?  Or is it one of the four different flavors of creature that the
Chinese scare away with firecrackers on New Years.

Beware (he said ominiously and melodramtially) of cultural centrism!

es

And by the way, skeptix@cyberwarped.com appears to be an inoperative
e-mail address. Curious.

--
AOL IM Pager - DinoEditor
ichat PAGER - dinogazette

Dinosaur Central
http://www.dinosaur.org
Encyclopedia Brittanica Internet Guide, Yahoo Editor's Choice, Science
Site of the Day, Member of The Paleo Ring

Summer
http://www.dinosaur.org/teefr.html

10024-0502