Re: mass, momentum, & misc.

> Bill Adlam wrote:
 >
 > > Do the artists on the list have rules of thumb for determining centres
 of
 > >> gravity or, even better, use models?
 >
 > Greg Wenzel of The Dinosaur Studio has sculpted several free-standing
 > theropods (meaning that there is no base to which the feet are attached)
 > and using nothing more than proper scaling and anatomy, they all stand
 > upright and balanced just fine.
 > Brian (franczak@ntplx.net) >>

<< One thing I've always questioned regarding sculptures that stand up,
 balanced, as it were, is the inner density of the material the sculpture is
 made of and if that corresponds in a meaningful way with the material the
 animal itself was composed of.  In other words, is a chunk of dinosaur
 from, say the viscera,  equal in weight to an equal sized chunk from the
 thigh muscle or tail?  Whereas sculptural materials may be more equal in
 density from one place to another.>>>>>>

I dont know about the intestinal organs but..Air filled lungs would have made
it lighter than it seemed in the trunk region,definitely lighter than a piece
of tail filling the same amount of space.

F.Denota

Newly revised
Paleo Illustration pages
http://members.aol.com/WileE81/index.html