Re: Dromeosaurs most efficient (meanest) hunters

<< I think it harkens back to the day John Ostrom noticed that most of the
 characteristics of Deinonychus were those of a highly active animal,
 seemingly more adapted (or specialized) for speed than other dinosaurs
 found prior to it.

 But that's just my guess, you understand.

 -Betty Cunningham

yes
I know that is the assumption
 I believe that dromeosaurs were faster and more agile than a Tyrannosaur .
But how would that make it a more effective hunter. Hunters have an arsenal of
evolutionary tactics it uses to gain an advantage that ensure their survival.
Speed gives cheetahs an advantage during pursuit but due to the body type it
must maintain to achieve those speeds  it limits the size of the prey it may
capture, not to mention the limitations on the energy it expends. A lion on
the other hand uses  size and cooperation to take down animals much larger
than itself, but lacks the ability to out run faster prey. Plus they both use
unique strategies  as a means to an end. The point being that dromeosaurs and
tyrannosaurs are two evolutionarily diverse animals that have chosen an
alternate means to survival. Why then are dromeosaurs considered better suited
for hunting. What makes an animal better suited for anything if they are both
successful at what they do to survive?
 I suppose you would have to measure each animals success rate and compare but
we will never have such data on "these" animals.
FDenota

Newly revised
Dinosaur Illustration pages
http://members.aol.com/WileE81/index.html