Re: T. Rex the hunter (the DMNH Edmontosaurus revisited)

Thomas Holtz wrote...
> Unfortunately, you haven't seen the top view or the right lateral view of
> the area in question (the paper describing it is not yet out).  There is
> signficant damage (including tooth groove marks and regrown bone) to the
> neural spines 13-16.  More I cannot say until Ken Carpenter has opportunity
> to present the information himself: it is a great study.

      I though it was written up in a symposium volume published by
the Museum of the Rockies around 1988?  Here is part of a posting Ken sent
when this issue popped up a couple years ago:

     "...the height [of the tail above the ground] is 13 feet.  The top
1/3 of one neural spine obliquely sheared off leaving a U-shaped groove.
The is some remodeling of the bone indicating some healing occured prior
to death.  Other neural spines are mangled, with at least two tooth
punctures.  These and the missing spine form a nice U-shape that conforms
well with the cast of the T.rex skull we have.  Jack [Horner] has seen it
and agrees it was most likely done by a T.rex, however, he argues that it
was a rare attack."

     So, contrary to how it may look in photographs, the size of the
damage IS compatable with an adult _T.rex_ skull.  Also, as Ken has
pointed out, if we assume that animal was standing at the time of the
attack, 13 feet if a pretty fair height for a juvenile _T.rex_ to jump.
Finally, the big tooth punctures, combined with the severity of the damage
to the neural spines, seems to contradict the idea that the damage could
have been inflicted by another _Edmontosaurus_.

LN Jeff