SCAVENGING SNAKES

Tom Holtz wrote..

> To any ophidiologists on the net: is it true that most snakes will
> not eat food unless they are close to body temperature?

(I am not an 'ophidiologist', but..) No, it is not really true -
there ARE reported cases of wild snakes eating dead (sometimes long
dead) animals. Of course, such behaviour IS rare, but that doesn't
mean it doesn't happen.. Am I making myself clear? There is no rule
here that sticks for all occasions.

I recall some excellent anecdotes relating to snakes eating
dead prey in YALDEN'S _British Snakes_ (or was it Langley's
_British Snakes_?).

Incidentally, the oft-cited assertion that cheetah never eat dead
animals is not 100% true either, as they have been reported to chew
at road kills and such. Note that cheetah eat thigh muscles before
anything else.

"Aaaah, it'll be paradise - a hot, steamy, sweltering paradise"

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk