Re: HTML e-mail

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, D.I.G. wrote:

> If, however, there are HUGE numbers of folks who (because of University
> administration or other considerations) are stuck using software that
> they wouldn't wish on their worst enemy, perhaps the Listserver can be
> configured to strip it off.

PINE may not be able to view HTML, but I prefer it to those fancy-schmancy
programs -- it's faster on my connection, it's easier for me to access, it
doesn't mess with uploading and downloading my entire INBOX, it'll never
delete messages unless I specifically tell it to, it picks up messages the
instant they come, and it doesn't take up any of my computer's processor
time or disk space.

Adding HTML attachments does not really add any useful extra information,
and it more than doubles the size of the message. Like a _Carnotaurus_'s
arm (just to keep this on-topic), it's a virtually useless appendage. Out
of courtesy for those of us with small accounts and connections that favor
using UNIX, I would also like to request that people turn this annoying
function off.

--T. Mike Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu
http://umbc.edu/~tkeese1 -- Dinosaur Web Pages