From:   Jeffrey Martz [SMTP:martz@holly.ColoState.EDU]
Sent:   Monday, February 16, 1998 10:33 AM
To:     John P. Poynter
Cc:     'Dinosaur@usc.edu'
Subject:        Re: Utility of Scavenger vs. Predator Argument

     It would advance our knowledge about whether T.rex was a predator
or a scavenger.  If you want to take a larger view, it may
tell us something about the upper limit of terrestrial
predator size, or the upper limit of terrestrial bipedal
predator size, or the upper limit of predatory theropod
size, or about the ecological feasibility of being a career scavenger if
you have low enough metabolism and a good enough sense of smell, something
that doesn't seem possible for terrestrial carnivores today.