Re: Ankylosaurs (was Re: Birds and mosasaurs)

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> At 10:54 AM 2/13/98 -0700, LN Jeff wrote:
> >>  I agree that Bathonian
> >> teeth are still regarded as possibly dromeosaur or troodont or, with at
> least equal
> >> probability, something entirely new.
> >
> >     It would make them a prety long-lived lineage, I admit.  Howver,
> >ankylosaurs extend from at least the late Jurassic (and further?) until
> >the latest Cretaceous.  I do not know if the Cretaceous ankylosaur
> >FAMILIES extend back to the Jurassic (someone who knows more might say
> >something),
>
> The Middle Jurassic ankylosaur Sarcolestes is included by most workers in
> Nodosauridae (a family which makes it to the latest Cretaceous), and the
> Middle Jurassic Tianchisaurus in Ankylosauridae (ditto).  Late Jurassic
> representatives would be Dracopelta and Mymoorapelta, respectively.
Are there any references for these two?---Out of the couple dozen dino
books I own and places I've visited, the ONLY time I've even seen their
NAMES come up has been in "The World Beneath" by James Gurney. A fine book
to be sure, but hardly a definitive reference.....

Thanks,

---Steve