Re: "Dragons?"

Mr. Woolf writes that there is "no reason to be limited in his
thinking."

This is fine if we are talking about either speculation or fairy tales
(both of which I indulge in myself).

On the other hand, a hypothesis (of the type common in cryptozoology)
has been proposed: to wit: the specific origin of the so-called European
dragon is from dinosaur bones.

That hypothesis is substantiated by EVIDENCE in CHINA.

To the best of my knowlege, however, there is NO EVIDENCE in EUROPE.

While I wouldn't for a moment disagree with Mr. Woolf's assessment of
the resemblance between various modern photographs of fossils and
paintings of various dragons, these is a totally hindsight evaluation.

That is the point!

If someone could, in fact, DOCUMENT the relationship between a fossil
find say 800 years ago and some medieval painter sitting down and going
"Aha! I think I'll draw a picture of what this thing looks like!" I
would love to see it! So far as I know, Hawkins (sp? Brian?) is the
first artist to do such a thing and he is mid 19th century.

My "agenda" here is only to find out if such a thing happened. So far,
all I've heard is stuff that would make Erich von Danikaan happy.

es.

Jonathon Woolf wrote:

SNIP

--
AOL IM Pager - DinoEditor
ichat PAGER - dinogazette

Dinosaur Central
http://www.dinosaur.org
Encyclopedia Brittanica Internet Guide, Yahoo Editor's Choice, Science
Site of the Day, Member of The Paleo Ring

Summer
http://www.dinosaur.org/teefr.html

10024-0502