Re: SCAVENGING SNAKES

>Tom Holtz wrote..
>
>> To any ophidiologists on the net: is it true that most snakes will
>> not eat food unless they are close to body temperature?

As far as I know, the use of heat as a prey locator is only found in some
snake lineages (e.g. pit vipers, rat snakes), and even with these smell is
an equally powerful tool.

And, as implied in the original query, "body temperature" and "live" are
not necessarily the same thing.  I used to catch mice in our garage with
standard spring traps, and our corn snake (a kind of rat snake) would
happily accept them if warmed in the microwave for a few seconds.

chris

Christopher Brochu

Department of Geology
Field Museum of Natural History