Re: "Dragons?"

-----Original Message-----
From: Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 1998 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: "Dragons?"

>I thought it came from the Greek "Derkein", which means something
>like "far seeing", describing the excellent eyesight of said beast.

It came from the Greek via Latin and French (Latin drakonem to French
dragon).
Knew having a copy of O.E.D. would be useful someday.

It originally seemed to refer to anything large and reptilian.  Most of
the gun and soldier references were named after the beast.

Bryan R. Stahl

"This was none of the good Lord's pleasure,
For the Spirit He breathed in Man is free;
But what comes after is measure for measure,
And not a God that afflicteth thee..."  Kipling

brstahl@sprynet.com
BRYAN.R.STAHL@dos.us-state.gov