Re: Dryptosaurus drawing

Dear Chris:

        Yes, the painting was by Charles Knight, and the active,
carnivorous pose was actually suggested to Knight by Edward Drinker Cope.
        Cope believed that carnivorous dinos might in fact be quite active
- an opinion shared by many paleontologist's today but not so in his time.
Incidently, if I remember the painting accurately, I think the Dryptosaurs
are depicted with five fingered hands. The original Dryptosaurus material
is in the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences, and was incomplete.

Donald Phillips
N.Y. Paleontological Society