Re: True Predator

Tony Canning wrote:

> On Feb 13,  1:41pm, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
>
> > To any ophidiologists on the net: is it true that most snakes will not eat
> > food unless they are close to body temperature?
> >
> >-- End of excerpt from Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
>
> Snakes rarely come across
> freshly killed prey unless they are the killers.  There is at least 1
> population of island snakes, Coluber sp., (hippocrepis?) that get about
> 30% of their diet from road-kills - they will scavange given the
> opportunity, but opportunities are rare.
>
> Tony Canning

It is very common here in Florida to find many species of snakes in the
middle of the road during rainy times when frogs are out in numbers,
trying to figure out how eat a pancaked frog that has been run over so
many times that it has been ground into the asphalt. Of course many
snakes also get ground into the pavement in the process.

At work we have a retouched X-ray of a pine snake (Pituophis sp.) which
clearly shows not one, but two normal sized incandescent light bulbs
withing the stomach. Apparently, a chicken farmer disposed of some
burned out lights from his chicken farm. The snake supposedly sensed the
chicken scent on the bulbs and consumed them. The chicken farmer found
the snake with two large bulges in its mid-section and took it to the
University of Florida Vetrinary School, where the X-ray I have was taken
before the bulbs were surgically removed and the snake released back
into the wild.

Adam Black
Wildlife Art of the Tertiary & Pleistocene
paleoart@digital.net
Archer, Florida