Re: True Predator

>Only some snakes (most members of the Boidae family and Crotalinae
>subfamily (pit vipers) of the Viperidae family) have heat sensitive pits
on the
>head by which they can detect warm bodied animals. Other snakes hunt by
>smell and a recently dead animal would not smell differently than an alive
one.
>Snakes in captivity certainly accept dead animals.
>
>Gautam Majumdar

Let's not forget that there are snakes specializing in eggs, and others
that eat only snails and slugs.  King cobras eat only other snakes, and of
course garter snakes eat frogs.  The sea snakes eat, I believe, fish.  I
doubt that any of these snakes can rely much on the body temperature of
their prey as a food locator.

1825 Shady Creek Court