Re: T. REX THE HUNTER(finding cover)

Allan Edels wrote:

> One must remember that vast forests existed thoughout much of
> the land mass (yes I know that there were deserts, mountains, etc.
> - BUT there was an immense amount of vegetation in the world - to
> feed all those herbivores).  In forested areas, it is possible to
> hide very large objects for long periods of time - as an example,
> look at how hidden such places as Tikal, and Ankor Waat were until
> tje past century.

they were hidden from HUMANS (we never were very gifted)
-indigenous animals were living in and amongst the ruins in these
places.  You are anthropormorphising.

> As to the carcass reeking, it wouldn't necessarily REEK immediately,

The ability to scent fresh blood has been selected for in carnivours
nowadays-why not then?  The amounts of blood a T rex could make leak out
of an animal was awe-inspiring.  A bite-silhouette the size of a human
should indicate this.

We humans object to the smell of rotting meat, but carnivores really
really like that smell.  Ever see a dog roll on a dead seal on the
beach?

> and there might be other odors that might have been
> able to mask the odor for a sufficient peroid of time.

Perfectly true, humans can't smell the forests for the trees.

BUT if T rex stashes food at every hunting occurance and if a T rex only
stashes it's food near big stinky areas - this would soon lead the local
scavengers and smaller predators to hang out there.  Look at the shear
numbers of carnivores and scavengers at the La Brea pits.  Many of which
had the most sensitive olfactory lobes anywhere on the planet (known to
science today that is).  One assumes they were there because they
smelled dinner over the tar smell.

-Betty Cunningham