Re: SHUVOSAURUS INEXPECTATUS

In a message dated 98-02-19 03:37:50 EST, tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu writes:

<< I've heard that it's a pseudosuchian of some sort.

 Finding an advanced ornithomimosaur from the Triassic would be like
 finding hominid remains in the Late Cretaceous... >>

I've handled the skull (Lawrence KS SVP meeting) and, while there's a fair
amount of restoration work, there's little doubt that it strongly _resembles_
an ornithomimid skull. Unfortunately, the paper describing it made no mention
of the toothless, beaked "rauisuchoid" _Lotosaurus_ from China, with which a
comparison should certainly have been made. There are several lotosaur
features in the _Shuvosaurus_ skull, enough to convince me that Shuvo and Loto
are more cloesly rleated than Shuvo and ornithomimids.