RE: True Predator

U. Colo. herpetologists Hobart Smith and David Chisar demonstrated empirically
that snakes of virtually any genus show a preference to previously frozen mice
over freshly killed mice.  They theorized that due to rupturing of the cell
membranes by ice crystals, the food would be easier to digest (actually
somewhat pre-digested), and the snakes could smell the difference.  Many snake
venoms work in a similar way.

Snakes will definitely eat dead food.

I'm sorry if this was previously mentioned, but the biggest extant herptiles,
Komodo dragons, are famous for scavenging (and killing).  Maybe T. rex also had
a mouth packed with potent bacteria?
--
Curtis Olson
Hamilton VA

"The main point is that life is 3.5 billion years old, and we got here
yesterday, geologically speaking.  How can a process that's been going on for
that long in ignorance of us contain moral messages for our lives?  It can't."
        - Stephen Jay Gould