Re: Dinosaur extinction

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-02-19 20:02:05 EST, jbois@umd5.umd.edu writes:
>
> << An honest question: Wouldn't Darwin's Natural Selection hypothesis at the
>  time he proposed it fall under this view? >>
>
> We cannot confirm that natural selection actually takes place, only that
> it is an eminently reasonable theory that accounts for the known fossil
> record and numerous features of living organisms.

I think _micro_evolution at least has by now been confirmed.

> But natural selection is by far the
> most parsimonious explanation for the evolution of life, which is why most
> reasonable people accept it.

And as such it has value, surely!  The interesting thing to me is that we
cannot come up with a similarly parsimonious explanation for nonavian
dinosaur extinction.  The great power of Darwin's theory, (and also plate
tectonics and heliocentricism, for example) is that upon elucidation of
the ideas they made sense of many apparently unrelated phenomena.  Things
sort of fell into place around the theory.  There is no sense of this in
any of the dino explanations! I realize it is a completely different kind
of problem from the above theories, but perhaps it is a simple idea which
no one has thought of yet--an idea which when we hear it we will all  cry
out in unison, as Huxley did, "Of course, why didn't I think of that!"