Dinosaur Fact / "Dragon" Myth Connection was Re: "Dragons?" "Plumed Serpents"

Mr. Edels has, indeed, made the point succintly: (quoted below)

One one hand we have "myths" and, in some cases, "legends" (aural and
visual representations)that bear an astonishing VISUAL or ANECDOTAL
resemblance to what we in the 20th Century have come to regard as
"dinosaurs."

On the other hand we have (or don't have as the case may be) PHYSICAL
REMAINS which do or don't link up with the myths.

It is one thing to recount the myths -- which _are_ fascinating, but it
is another thing to derive any genuine paleo "data" from them. As Tom
Holtz pointed out, the Chinese bones are, largely, not "dinosaur" in
origin (which may or may not account for the visual representations that
the Chinese concocted for the supposed animal(s) that they came from.

My recollection is that both the Chinese physical remains and also
Amerind discoveries of paleo specimens are clearly documented (though,
regretfully I can't recall the references any more -- does anyone on the
list know them?), but there is NO similar documentation for European or
any other remains being linked specifically to a myth.

es

--
AOL IM Pager - DinoEditor
ichat PAGER - dinogazette

Dinosaur Central
http://www.dinosaur.org
Encyclopedia Brittanica Internet Guide, Yahoo Editor's Choice, Science
Site of the Day, Member of The Paleo Ring

Summer
http://www.dinosaur.org/teefr.html

10024-0502