Re: Evolutionary Theory

In article <4d597c30.34ecffe3@aol.com>, JSeward123@aol.com writes
>In a message dated 98-02-15 03:02:34 EST, rjmeyer@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
><< Once and a while, a critter will genetically "stumble" upon a mutation that
>turns out to have benificial features, especially if that animal now has an
>advantage over it's competitors.  >>
>
>My high-school biology teacher (who hates creation) taught us that 99.9999...%
>of all mutations are destructive and don't get passed on in future
>generations. So I fail to see how random mutations could result in something
>better.

Non-sequitur.  Can you do sums?  Can you say 0.0001%?  Where did the
figure come from, anyway? Seems a bit extreme.

>Even if there was a beneficial mutation, would it get passed on to its
>offspring in future generations?

Natural selection says yes.  That's why we get antibiotic-resistant
bacteria, for one thing.

>JMHO,
>Jim

Take it to talk.origins where it's on-topic, please.

--
Richard Keatinge homepage http://www.keatinge.demon.co.uk

Read "The Beak of the Finch"!