Re: SHUVOSAURUS INEXPECTATUS

T. Mike Keeseywrote:
>Okaaaay, so I saw a pattern, didn't know all the details, and wondered if
>he had some theory about all theropod lineages evolving in the Triassic...
>Glad to hear he doesn't.
        I would caution against trying to discern worker's "hidden agendas"
from their work. At least not in a public forum. Sometimes, perhaps often,
workers do have closey held theories which they do not state outright.
However, as they are generally not published, it doesn't seem appropriate to
speculate on them. Now, what you do privately over a beer... well, anybody
who thinks you can just shut off a mind trained to make connections is
fooling themselves. :)

>Or does he?
        Dr. Holtz noted in a post about a month ago that Chatterjee's
teacher Colbert theorized that the most of the major radiations of the
Mesozoic occured in the Triassic. Or something like that. It would be best
to go back and read the original post before commenting further.

>Doesn't he still advocate _Protoavis_ as an advanced bird,
>while at the same time agreeing with the maniraptoran origin of birds?
        Yes.

>Wouldn't that push the origin of all theropod lineages back to the
>Triassic?
        Yes.

>He may, as you say, have a Ph.D.
        Yes.

>what's the deal with that theory?!? (if he does still hold it)
        The truth points to itself.

        Oops, sorry. Anyway, I don't know all that much about it, myself. If
I were you, I'd scan the available literature. If it isn't there, it may not
be worth discussing. I don't know if Chatterjee's new book has anything to
say about this particular subject.
        :)
        Wagner
"Cladism is to evolution what agnosticism is to the existance of god"-Horner