Re: SHUVOSAURUS INEXPECTATUS

At 12:24 AM 2/22/98 -0500, T. Mike Keesey wrote:

{Concerning Dr. Sankar Chatterjee}

>Okaaaay, so I saw a pattern, didn't know all the details, and wondered if
>he had some theory about all theropod lineages evolving in the Triassic...
>Glad to hear he doesn't.
>
>Or does he? Doesn't he still advocate _Protoavis_ as an advanced bird,
>while at the same time agreeing with the maniraptoran origin of birds?
>Wouldn't that push the origin of all theropod lineages back to the
>Triassic?
>
>He may, as you say, have a Ph.D. and far, far more contributions to the
>field of paleontology than I will ever make, but -- what's the deal with
>that theory?!? (if he does still hold it)

Actually, as Wagner noted, Chattejee studied with Ned Colbert, and Colbert
himself is noted for saying that all of the interesting part of evolution
happened in the Triassic, and that everything since is just an elaboration
of this initial radiation.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661