RE: Utility of Scavenger vs. Predator Argument

In certain Instances, Yes. I refer you to Gonyea, W. J. 1976. Adaptive
Differences In The Body Proportions Of Large Felids. Acta Anat.96:81-96.
and Gonyea, W. and R. Ashworth. 1975. The Form And Function Of Retractile
Claws In The Felidae And Other Representitive Carnivorans. J.
Morphol.145:229-238.Big cats can pull down animals up to 5X their own
weight ( i.e., Tiger vs Gaur bull ).

Steve

Stephen Faust                   smfaust@edisto.cofc.edu