Re: Cladistics (was Sci. Am. - present)

>Perhaps
>what cladists should be doing is amassing a gigantic Ultimate Character Matrix
>that contains all known states of all known characters, run one Giant
>Cladistic Analysis to generate the one Ultimate True Phylogeny, and declare
>their work finished. Sort of like the Human Genome Project.

Same problem involved with making a Universal Species Database, reading
genetic sequences for entire sets of chromosomes, or forcasting the weather
as accurately as we know how to produce algorthms for.  In the latter case
for example, an almost totally accurate 24-hour forecast can be made, but
it takes more than 24 hours to process the data.  We'll have to wait, I
think, for one more order-of-magnitude jump in computing technology before
we can do things like this.