Re: Mammal - Like - Reptiles ... info needed.

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Alaric Shapli wrote:

> For that matter, what is the current status of the pelycosaurs?  It seems
> to me that I had heard a couple of years ago that they were no longer
> considered a valid group, but I have continued to see them refered to since
> then.

They are not a monophyletic group, as some "pelycosaurs" share more recent
ancestry with therapsids than with other "pelycosaurs". Hence, cladistic
classifications cannot use the taxon "Pelycosauria", although the term is
still reserved informally for non-therapsid synapsids.

--T. Mike Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu
http://umbc.edu/~tkeese1 -- Dinosaur Web Pages