Re: Mammal - Like - Reptiles ... info needed.

At 09:45 AM 2/23/98 -0500, ashapli wrote:

>For that matter, what is the current status of the pelycosaurs?  It seems
>to me that I had heard a couple of years ago that they were no longer
>considered a valid group, but I have continued to see them refered to since
>then.

The "pelycosaurs" are pretty clearly a paraphyletic group: sphenacodonts
like Dimetrodon are much closer to Therapsida than are the "haptodonts" (a
paraphyletic grade) or Edaphosaurus or the caseids.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661