ORNITHODESMUS

Regarding _Ornithodesmus_ Seeley, 1887 - a genus first named for the
theropod sacrum BMNH R187, then later thought to be pterosaurian
because of referral of the complete pterosaur skeleton BMNH R176
(type of _O. latidens_ Seeley, 1901) to the same genus - George
wrote...

> The type species of the genus is based on
> probable troodontid and certainly small theropod material (dorsal &
> sacral vertebrae or some such),

As I noted in the previous message I wrote on this subject, it is by
means certain that BMNH R187 is from a troodontid. Howse and Milner
(1993), who made this now famous allocation, did not compare BMNH
R187 widely to other theropod sacra, and many/all of the features
they used to support a troodontid affinity for BMNH R187 are seen in
certain other theropods. Also, a Canadian troodontid sacrum they used
for comparison is not, actually, from a troodontid. More details in
Pete Makovicky's thesis and in up-and-coming work.

> The pterosaur will be placed
> in its own genus, probably new, in due time.

More likely (from what I've heard), BMNH R176 - the pterosaur - will
be made the new type for the genus _Ornithodesmus_. After all, this
name is well established for this animal. Do you know otherwise
George?

"Perhaps you think you are being treated unfairly?"
"No"

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk