Re: Sauropod neck positions: "High" is a relative term.

On 02/24/98 12:45:17 you wrote:

>First, a term: "Neutral position" of the neck articulation
>means the position where the zygopophyses are fully
>overlapping each other.  All other positions are when
>the zyg's are slid slightly off full contact.

Yada, yada, yada...

Just to put my two cents worth in, I recently wrote an article for Prehistoric
Times (out this
month) on Sauropod necks. Mainly I wanted to talk about the shapes of the
necks, ie, width,
length, height, etc. I was asked to make comments on the above,
'cyber-paleontology resarch on
sauropod necks. Well, to make a long story short, after doing drawings of
complete or nearly
complete sauropod necks (even though, they are the largest of the dinosaurs,
they also have the
most monographs than any other dinosaur) by articulating the cervical vertebrae
(the best I
could) I would have to agree with Parrish etc. I was taken aback, but, it works
very well. The
neck in Diplodocids bend, naturally (if the drawings are correct) down.

Tracy