Re: STRANGE THEROPOD SKULLS

<Regarding the bizarre skull of the Antarctic theropod
_Cryolophosaurus_, Tom Holtz writes..>

<<The skull of Cryolophosaurus is pretty puzzling as currently
described, particularly the squamosal-postorbital-jugal contact (which,
in all right-thinking theropods, do NOT form a single contact in the
middle of the infratemporal fenestra!!).>>

<Tom, what on Earth is a 'right-thinking theropod'? I am still utterly
confused by the cryolophosaur skull, and with such a poor, preliminary
description to go on (Hammer and Hickerson 1994), we are all in the
dark. Someone should get hold of the thing and describe it properly - it
looks (from photos, not the god-awful diagrams provided by Hammer and
Hickerson) very significant.>

*Cryolophosaurus* is so early in the fossil record, possibly the first
true carnosaur (Eucarnosauria? with Carnosauria including that group and
all other basal tetanurines {megalosaurs, torvosaurs, abelisaurs, and
*Eustreptospondylus*} excluding Coelurosauria and spinosaurs and
*Bagaraatan*---however he fits in, and I've yet to see a skeleton or
single bone of this creature)

<I still find it hard to believe that the jugal does project so far
dorsally as to suture with the squamosal and therefore divide the
laterotemporal fenestra into two - this is utterly unique if true.
Mind you, tyrannosaurs come pretty close but with a totally different
morphology (both the squamosal and quadratojugal rostrally invade the
lat. fen.), and Hu's diagram of _Dilophosaurus sinensis_ does too:
here, what appears to be the squamosal divides the lat. fen. and
apparently reaches the dorsal bar of the jugal. Does anyone have any
photos of the skull to see if this is for real?>

Try the Royal Tyrrell Museum at

http://tyrrell.magtech.ab.ca/lostf/dilopho.html.

<<I think that Bakker et al.'s and Sereno's suggestion that
Eustreptospondylus is closely related to Torvosaurus may have some merit
based on current data. Unfortunately, both are less complete than one
(okay, I) would like... :-(>>

How about this: *Baryonyx's* pelvis shows remarkable similarity to the
referred pelvis of *Megalosaurus* (OUM, no number given) as seen in _The
Dinosauria_ and _Dinosaurs: the Encyclopedia_. And don't get me started
about *Afrovenator* and *Eustreptospoindylus*---though Afro and
sinraptorids is also very interesting.... Hmm. Would *Piatnitzkysaurus*
and *Monolophosaurus* and *Yangchuanosaurus* sound interesting as a
group: look at their pelves (especially the ischia).

<There are many, many problems with all of the characters that both
teams used to support a _Eustreptospondylus_-_Torvosaurus_ link (you
want me to go through them?)>

Yes, if you would. At least for my benefit. I've worked this problem and
found them contiguous as based on their ilia alone (and exclusive of
nearly all other basal tetanurines/ceratosaurs). I've posted similar
threads, you may recall.

<... nevertheless, there are still a few similarities that look very
significant (e.g. loss of quadratojugal foramen/fossa, tall quadratic
shafts). I am _hoping_ to do a thorough description of this dinosaur
sometime in the future: god knows someone has to.>

You may reason with me, but I've got carnosaurs on the brain.

Jaime A. Headden