Re: group hunting (was Scavenger vs. Predator Argument)

<<...We have no evidence that male tyrannosaurs had similar hindrances,
but there can be no evidence that they did not either.  This means that
the sex of the rex is irrelevant (unless you are a rex) as far as
hunting goes...>>

<The gracile and robust morphs probably represent different sexes, and
the robust ones are probably females.  I would guess the difference in
size and strength was similar to that in lions, but with the females
bigger. I'm sure someone on the list is familiar enough with both to
correct me.>

Nope, you're correct on the lion thing. But ... robust forms in dinosaur
may mean what robust forms in crocs means, which is robust, smaller
males and gracile, larger females. But we have robust, larger (?) and
gracile, smaller (?). Birds have bigger females, like crocs, but there
is little in the way of robustity as opposed to gracility. When Paul
Willis gets back, he might be able to help with this particular part.

<If young males stayed with their natal pride, they would probably be
too weak at first to have access to the breeding females. They would be
able to help raise younger siblings, half-siblings, cousins, etc..>

Sounds like wolves and hyenas, who are matriarchal in hierarchy.

<Armed with this theory I predict a strongly male-biased sex ratio in T.
rex. And sure enough, there is.>

Unless you got the sexes confused (cf. above).

<It also explains why Sue suffered more injuries than males: fighting
between females over the large resources of a pride of males would be
much more serious than a squabble between closely related males over how
many times each will mate with one female.>

Didn't someone on the list last year mention Sue might be a "Sam"?

Jaime A. Headden