Re: STRANGE THEROPOD SKULLS

>*Cryolophosaurus* is so early in the fossil record, possibly the first
>true carnosaur (Eucarnosauria? with Carnosauria including that group
and
>all other basal tetanurines {megalosaurs, torvosaurs, abelisaurs, and
>*Eustreptospondylus*} excluding Coelurosauria and spinosaurs and
>*Bagaraatan*---however he fits in, and I've yet to see a skeleton or
>single bone of this creature)

     While I agree that Crylophosaurus is a carnosaur, I think there is
more than a little evidence for a "higher" position. Sereno et.al. 1996
argued for a position in the Allosauroidea. This position is based on
nasal participation in the antorbital fossa, basipterygoid process very
short, basioccipital excluded from the basal tubera, articular with
pendant medial process, and surangular twice maximum depth of angular. I
agree with their postion in this matter.
      Abelisaurs may belong the Ceratosauria in the taxon
Neoceratosauria as Novas speculated.
      Spinosaurs are related to Torvosauridae and Afrovenator in the
Torvosauroidea according to Sereno et.al.  More will be published on
this when Sereno publishes his newest findings from Morocco.

><I still find it hard to believe that the jugal does project so far
>dorsally as to suture with the squamosal and therefore divide the
>laterotemporal fenestra into two - this is utterly unique if true.

    Based on the partial picture Hammer and Hickerson show I think it is
true.

     >>snip<<

>How about this: *Baryonyx's* pelvis shows remarkable similarity to the
>referred pelvis of *Megalosaurus* (OUM, no number given) as seen in
_The
>Dinosauria_ and _Dinosaurs: the Encyclopedia_. And don't get me started
>about *Afrovenator* and *Eustreptospoindylus*---though Afro and
>sinraptorids is also very interesting.... Hmm. Would *Piatnitzkysaurus*
>and *Monolophosaurus* and *Yangchuanosaurus* sound interesting as a
>group: look at their pelves (especially the ischia).

     The pelvis may not be a great diagnostic feature in theropods.
Baryonyx and Megalosaurus may have some relation but you cannot base it
on some general similiarities. Function-related parts of the body can
look extremely similiar in unrelated animals with similiar lifestyles.
Afrovenator and Eustreptospondylus may have some relation but
Afrovenator and sinraptorids have relation. Sinraptorids and
carcharodontosaurs is more likely. Piatnitzkysaurus may be
related to Monolophosaurus and Yangchuanosaurus if it is a allosaur and
the latter two are too. Bakker proposed there is a clade of theropods,
the monolophosaurs, but that was at the SVP conference and I didn't hear
the exact details. Somebody fill me in?

  WMattTroutman