Re: "Z Rex " injuries (was group hunting (was Scavenger vs. Predator Argument))

>From: Betty Cunningham <bettyc@flyinggoat.com>

>according to this write-up of Z rex (which is assumed to be male) at:
>http://www.fossilnet.com/trex/rex.htm
>
>   The skull shows evidence of a terrible wound in life that re-healed
>and
>   apparently did not bother the beast. A hole is still seen on the
>crest of the
>   skull near the orbit with the bone all around the edge having
healed.
>There
>   also appears to be teeth marks in the skull.
>
>thus males AND females got T rex-inflicted ouchies.

I'm not familiar with "Mr. Z-Rex," so I looked up the supplied URL with
interest.  Here's the portion on injury:

"The skull shows evidence of a terrible wound in life that re-healed and
apparently did not bother the beast. A hole is still seen on the crest
of the skull near the orbit with the bone all around the edge having
healed. There also appears to be teeth marks in the skull."

How did you come to the conclusion that the healed injuries were
inflicted by another tyrannosaur?  A hole could have been inflicted by a
ceratopsian horn.  The teeth marks, even assuming they are tyrannosaur
teeth, could have been caused by post-mortem scavenging.

Then again, this observation is based exclusively on the information in
the url you supplied.  Anyone have more information on these injuries to
"Z Rex?"

Larry