Re: Birds, no mosasaurs [VERY long & theoretical]

In a message dated 98-02-27 01:56:09 EST, cbrochu@fmppr.fmnh.org writes:

<< >Most morphological characters are not even four-state but only two-state
 >(e.g., present-absent, wider-narrower, touching-not touching, etc.). This
 >makes long branch convergence >more< likely in morphological analysis than
in
 >molecular analysis.

 In whose analysis?  Try talking to an entomologist or botanist sometime -
 I've seen characters in their analyses with up to 15 states. >>

I wasn't talking about entomology or botany here, but of dinosaur character
matrices. This is, after all, a dinosaur list, not an entomology or botany
list.