Re: New Zealand

At 16:49 +0000 26/2/98, John V Jackson wrote:
>When did New Zealand split off?

New Zealand split from Gondwana sometime in the early cretaceous.

>Did Moas & Kiwi walk there or fly there?

They could easily have walked.  There were dinosaurs in New Zealand
which clearly walked here, why not moas?

>If they walked (ie, were  already there) why no mammals in NZ?

Good question.  I don't think anyone knows.  There are two native
species of bat (which flew over when Australia was still relatively
close) and that's it.

>Did the adaptable "I can survive anything" kiwi survive something
>none of the mammals could?

I think 'adaptable, I can survive anything' is a bit of a stretch when
describing a species which will be lucky to survive another 20 years.

---
Derek Tearne.   ---   @URL Internet Consultants  ---  http://url.co.nz
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.