Re: Dinosaur TV Week

> >     To enter the contest, children were asked to explain why they think
> >  dinosaurs vanished from the earth 65 million years ago, and why they
> should be
> >  selected as Discover Card's Junior Paleontologist.
> >
> >     Hofmann was selected from 11 finalists to become Discover Card's
> Official
>
> Anyone hear what his theory was?
>           Just wondering-BHR

I hope this thread dies a quick death, but here goes...
I just witnessed this television event, where the 6-year-old Justin Hoffman
briefly described his award-winning theory on dinosaur extinctions.  Can
you stand the suspense?  He put forth the idea that an asteroid collided
with the earth, sending a dust cloud into the sky, blotting out the sun,
killing the plants, which starved the plant-eating dinosaurs, whose demise
led to the death of the meat-eating dinosaurs.  When asked the origin of
this theory, he claimed it was his own idea.  (It's not whether you win or
lose, it's how you play the game).

He went on to identify several dinosaur models by genus, and was surprised
when Rosie O'Donnell asked if dinosaurs were still alive.  (A curious
question, given the above topic).  No, he said, their only living relatives
are crocodiles and turtles (sic), but there are no dinosaurs alive today.
This led to an appearance by Rosie's surprise guest, Barney, the "dinosaur"
(I'm not making this up).  Hugs all around, as you can well imagine.  But
then, when Rosie asked the alleged archosaur to identify a particular
dinosaur model by genus, he publicly humiliated himself by misidentifying a
_Maiasaura_ model as a reconstruction of _Velociraptor_.

All in all, most disturbing.  Mr. Hoffman made no mention of any scientific
papers in the works, but I'll be on the lookout.  A small painting of the
new dinosaur was on display, but I could not identify its affinities other
than to say it was definitely a theropod.  Perhaps Mr. Kirkland could be
consulted for comment?

Ralph Miller III <gbabcock@best.com>

"Barney, Barney, Barney!  How many times must I put you to death?"