Re: reptilian pneumatized vertebrae

Pneumatization or excavation of vertebrae is merely the degree of invasion
of vertebrae by the lung.  See Perry, S. F. 1983.  Reptilian lungs:
functional anatomy and evolution. Adv. in Anat. Embryol. and Cell Biol. v. 79.

-----------------------------
>Do they have true pneumatized vertebrae, or merely excavated vertebrae?
>There is a difference.  (Look at the cross-section of an _Allosaurus_
>vertebra in Farlow's book to see what I mean).  That sort of structure only
>forms where epithelial tissue invades the bone.

>May the peace of God be with you.         sarima@ix.netcom.com
>                                         sfriesen@netlock.com
TDJ
:-{)>
    Terry D. Jones                             Voice:  541/737-6120
    Oregon State University              Fax:      541/737-0501
    Dept. of Zoology                         JONEST@bcc.orst.edu
    3029 Cordley Hall
    Corvallis, OR  97331-2914