New Refs #6

Hello Gang - Hope y'all are having a good New Years and had a good
holiday. Here is a new big batch o' refs.

We'll start with a couple books. I think we've discussed Pat Shipman's
new dino/bird origins book. I would repeat the full ref but I only had it for
about an hour when Sherman Suter - a postdoc who specializes in
echinoids but is a real bird nut - borrowed it to read the whole thing. He
had just published a review of Feduccia's book with lots of (in my
opinion) deserved criticism (I'll get the refs) and was having fun with
feedback from some ornithologists. His opinion on Pat Shipman's book
seems very positive and it looked really well done to me - no surprise
given the quality of her work. She does start with a clear statement that
birds are derived from theropods, so there's no question there. Also nice
to have a book concentrating on archie by someone with excellent
taphonomic knowledge. When (if?) I can wrest it from Sherman, I'll try
and give more of my own opinion here.

The second book is:

   Hallam, A. & P.B. Wignall. 1997. Mass Extinctions and Their Aftermath.
   Oxford Press, NY.  ISBN 0-19-854917-2 (Hbk) or 854916-4 (pbk).

I go the paperback and it was in the $30-40 range. Haven't read it yet but
the sections I've looked at, especially the Cambrian section, look
excellent. Not surprising since Hallam is one of the most wide-read (don't
know about widely read) of paleontologists. I frequently disagree with
him but he always is incredibly scholarly no matter what he does. I think
dino types would do well to read the book because it would greatly
expand their scope of knowledge of all, and especially the Mesozoic
extinctions.

Onto papers. First we have a general vert evolution paper that may be
worth checking out:

  Mallatt, J. 1997. Shark pharyngeal muscles and early vertebrate
    evolution.  Acta Zoologica, 78(4):279-294.

Gives a good general account of how you get from the agnatha to the
bony fish from the pharyngeal point of view. Good for general VP
background.

There is a quick note from Ruben, J.A. et al. (1998, 279:15) in Science
correcting a picture that was incorrectly inserted in their lung structure
paper. Instead of the lung of a varanid the picture they had was of a
chick heart. Ok.

Next we have:

   Gasparini, Z., L. Spalletti & M. De la Fuente. 1997. Tothonian marine
      reptiles of the western Neuquen Basin, Argentina. Facies and
      paleoenvironments. Geobios, 30(5):701-712.

Paleoecological implications of deposits with ichthyos, plesios, crocs and
turtles (cryptodiran Neusticemys). Worth checking out because it is from
a view that includes paleoclimate and paleogeographic discussions.

Thies, D., R. Windolf & A. Mudroch. 1997. First record of Atoposauridae
   (Crocodylia: Metamesosuchia) in the Upper Jurassic (Kimmeridgian) of
   Northwest Germany.  Neues Jahrbuch fur Geologie und Palaontologie
   Abhandlungen 205(3):393-411.

59 teeth of that mesocroc. Some discussions of the atoposaurids in
general.

And similarly,

Kriwet, J., O.W.M. Rauhut & U. Gloy. 1997. Microvertebrate remains
   (Pisces, Archosauria) from the Middle Jurassic (Bathonian) of southern
   France. N.Jb.Geol. Palaont. Abh., 206(1):1-28.

Abundant fish and croc remains with rare theropod teeth in one fauna
and a second with crocs and ornithischians dominant with few fish and
no theropods. Indeterminant croc and theropod stuff, and what appears
to be a hypsilophodont. No real lower taxa named or id'd though.

Bardet, N., S. Duffaud, M. Martin, J.-M. Mazin, X. Pereda Superbiola &
   J.-P. Vidier. 1997.  Discovery of the ichthyosaur Ophthalmosaurus in
   the Tithonian (Upper Jurassic) of  Boulonnais, Northern France. N.Jb.
   Geol. Palaeont. Abh. 205(3):339-354.

As the title says with moderate remains.

Now a paper that seems real interesting but is actually even more
interesting to us because it talks about dino/bird origins. Nice classic
Netherlands functional morphology. Too detailed to summarize here with
my current time budget but would be happy to see someone else do it.
Just a nice piece of work with strong phylogenetic/functional context
recognizing 7 trophic diversifications in the line of coelurosaur
monophyly and superimposed on 3 radiation events (Cretaceous, post
K/T, and an Oligocene transition event.

Zweers, G.A., J.C. Vanden Berge & H. Berkhoudt. 1997. Evolutionary
   patterns of avian trophic diversification. Zoology, 100:25-57.

A quick note by the dissenters (and there's always room for dissenters
or we're a religion):

Martin, L.D. & Z. Zhou. 1997. Archaeopteryx-like skull in Enantiornithine
   bird. Nature  389:556.

And finally papers from the last 3 issues of Palaios, a nice journal.

Avanzini, M., S. Frisia, K. Van den Driessche & E. Keppens. 1997. A
   dinosaur tracksite in an early Liassic tidal flat in northern Italy:
   paleoenvironmental reconstruction from sedimentology and
   geochemistry. Palaios, 12(6):538-551.

Detailed paleoenvironmental analysis of an Italian tracksite.

Hayward, J.L., S.D. Folsom, D.L. Elmendorf, A.A. Tambrini & D.L. Cowles.
   1997. Experiments on the taphonomy of amniote eggs in marine
   environments. Palaios 12(5):482-488.

Includes dino and other eggs and suggests eggs are more common in
marine environs than thought. Look for them.

Trueman, C.N. & M.R. Palmer. 1997. Diagenetic origin of REE in vertebrate
   apatite: a reconsideration of Samoilov and Benjamini, 1996. Palaios
   12(5):495-497.
Samoilov, V.S. & C. Benjamini. 1997. On possible causes of trace
   element enrichment In dinosaur remains: a reply. Palaios 12(5):497-498.

As the titles suggest..

And finally,

Graham, S.A., M.S. Hendrix, R. Barsbold, D. Badamgarov, D. Sjostrom,
   W. Kirschner &  J.S. McIntosh. 1997. Stratigraphic occurrence,
   paleoenvironment, and description of the  oldest known dinosaur
   (Late Jurassic) from Mongolia. Palaios, 12(3):292-297.

As the title suggests. The dino is tentatively referred to Mamenchisaurus.

Have a good one.

Ralph Chapman