Re: Parasaurolophus neck/head flap.

In the holotype restored skeleton of Parasaurolophus walkeri (ROM 768),
there is a natural v-shaped notch in between the 7th and 8th dorsal
vertebrae.  The terminal end of the crest could have rested upon this
notch.  I agree with Ostrom that the crest was not attached to the dorsal via
ligaments, for there are no apparent scars on the crest (Ostrom, 1962a).
I doubt that a large flap of skin existed connecting the crest to various
parts of the neck.  A skin flap would have restricted some of the side to
side and head tilting movements.  However, a large flap of skin would
have made a wonderful sexual signal a view I share with Dodson (Dodson,
1975).