Re: Compsognathus (and Sinosauropteryx) hand

In a message dated 98-01-10 03:04:02 EST, jaemei@hotmail.com writes:

<< But the main point is that the
 third little metacarpal is just the same size as the second, and doesn't
 look like it's migrated up from the other hand; they are lying perfectly
 side-by-side, so I'm wondering here. This supports Greg Paul's
 third-finger restoration, and also the *Sinosauropteryx* "thumb". I,
 personally, do not believe compys had only two fingers. >>

The metacarpal is there, but none of the third-digit phalanges (which would be
the most numerous) from either hand. Furthermore, the third metacarpal doesn't
have an articulating surface for the corresponding digit. So if there was a
third digit, it was likely vestigial.

Phil Currie notes that _Sinosauropteryx_ does have three-digit hands.