Re: paleohistory

R. A. Martin wrote:

> Can anyone provide me with a reference or two summarizing the history of
> paleontology in America? Failing that, has anyone authoritative knowledge
> of the first paleontological expedition/dig here? Whodunit and where?
> Thanks, Bob

As far as I know, the *earliest* authoritative documentation of
paleontology in
North America was done by Lewis and Clark (specifically, in the journals
of M. Lewis).  Not much was written, though.  Mostly anecdotal accounts
by Souix and Blackfoot finds of the "bones of giant people".
The territory, you ask?  Why, the Montana part of the Louisiana
Territory,
*of course*!  :-)

                                <pb>