Re: Compsognathus (and Sinosauropteryx) hand

>The metacarpal is there, but none of the third-digit phalanges >(which
would be the most numerous) from either hand. Furthermore, >the third
metacarpal doesn't have an articulating surface for the >corresponding
digit. So if there was a third digit, it was likely >vestigial.

>Phil Currie notes that _Sinosauropteryx_ does have three-digit >hands.

So, does this make *Compsognathus* more advanced than *Sinosaur-
opteryx*? I'll admit the rest of the body seems pretty similar to
*Compsognathus,* with a smaller pubic boot (maybe a sub-adult specimen
or a condition of phylogenic development [i.e., more primitive]).

Jaime A. Headden